Dear Rest Days,
It’s me again. I know, I know – we often meet up at the most inopportune times. I’m usually cranky and not in the mood to see you.
I feel that I need to explain my actions, though. I usually dislike seeing you for one reason: I love to work. I love to sweat. I love to *not* rest.
I know that might sound a little bit harsh, but I promise, I mean no harm. In fact, I’m coming to you today with a refreshed perspective.
I’ve actually been looking forward to seeing you today.
It’s been a long week:
– 6 hours worth of barre n9ne classes
– 17 miles (and 11 more to come tomorrow) spent running
– No less than 9 hours spent commuting
= aching, sore, worked (but somehow still happy) muscles.
I know it’s time for a rest day meet-up and today’s the day. I’m embracing you!
And here’s why:
– There is no room for ‘junk miles’ with just about three weeks until race day
– After all that I learned in the intensive on Sunday, I don’t ever want my form to suffer due to a serious lack of rest days
– My body will never recover from all the work I throw at it if I never rest.
– I do not want to face an injury again. Ever (if I can help it).
– Rest days can be fun.
Yes, FUN, and here’s how:
– I have time to clean the house. From top to bottom. It’ll be shiny, sparkly and clean-smelling (my favorite scent), in no time. Yes, I heart sweat. But I also heart cleaning. Fact.
– I am working from home which means peace, quiet, and lots of progress made on the good ‘ol to-do list.
– I can plan a carb-y fun dinner for two for tonight in preparation for tomorrow’s planned 11 miles <—any ideas on this one, I could use some!
– I can daydream about how good all 11 miles will feel because my legs will be happy and rested. Oh yes they will.
So yes, I usually face you with annoyance. I don’t always love seeing your face. But today is not that day.
Today, rest day: I embrace you.